Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Easy Kheer

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup short-grained rice
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cups light cream
  • 2 cups 1% milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 good pinches of cardamom powder
  • sliced almonds, pistachios, raisins (optional)
Methods
  1. Melt butter over medium heat.
  2. Slightly toast the rice in the butter.
  3. Add the cream and milk. Increase heat and wait for a boil. DO NOT LEAVE THE POT!! It will overflow on you when you're not looking. Stir often.
  4. Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer. Stir often to prevent the milk from burning at the bottom of your non-stick pot. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has reduced to half.
  5. Turn off the heat and add the sugar. If you want to serve the kheer cold, add an extra tablespoon of sugar. Add the cardamom and anything optional that you would like.
  6. Chill in the refrigerator if desired.
I based this recipe from this great video I found on YouTube. I had to adapt the recipe because I was craving kheer but didn't have all the ingredients. I'm not sure what Indian short grain rice is but I used regular Japanese/Chinese rice. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the optional ingredients so I'm eating mine with just cardamom. And it's delicious. If it gets too thick after a night in the refrigerator, you could thin it out with a little milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment